Saturday, April 14, 2012

I heart Elvis Costello


This post has nothing to do with the house, but everything to do with great rock & roll. Greg and I saw Elvis Costello & the Imposters last night. I'd seen EC 2 or 3 times before, but this was by far the best show. Truly fantastic. Best set EVER! (Well, except that he skipped Everyday I Write the Book, but that's understandable given that he doesn't really like the song).

Highlights for me:
- He played Veronica! He never plays that. And it wasn't on the Spectacular Spinning Songbook. Such a surprising moment that I teared up. (Note that I tried to convince Greg to name our first baby Veronica after this song, but no dice.)
- He played Allison and then segued into Over the Rainbow and finally into There's a Time for Us Somewhere (please, Broadway Mafia, have mercy on me) from West Side Story. Wow. Awesome.
- I Want You played live is really spectacular any time, and he was in great form last night.
- In addition to his own stellar songbook, he covered Nick Lowe, Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash and the Beatles.
- Steve Nieve really rocked it out on a couple of songs.
- They closed it out with Peace, Love and Understanding.

Set list here:

I remain in awe. EC is my hero.

2 comments:

  1. I still don't get what's so funny...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace, Love and Understanding are hysterical.

      Delete